Castle of Holloko, Northern Hungary
In the hills of Cserhat the castle of Holloko stands on a cliff only a short walk from the old village, which is part of the UNESCO World Heritage. The village is located in Nograd county, approximately 91.1 kilometres northeast from Budapest.
In the XIV. century Máté Csák took over the castle, from whom the army of King Karoly Anjou took it back. In the next decades it belonged to the baron Szécsényi family. Though its owners tried to build up its defences, by the XVI. century it lost its military position.
The Ottomans captured the castle in 1552 and for the next 150 years, control alternated between Ottoman and Hungarian forces. At the end of the Ottoman era (1683) the castle and the village were finally abandoned and the present village grew up below.
The restoration started in the 1960s which put an end to the destruction of the castle and made it possible to open a castle museum behind its old walls at present.
According to the legend András Kacsics kidnapped his neighbour's wife and kept her in his castle. The lady's wet nurse - being a witch - managed to convince the devil to help her to set the lady free. The devil's sons changed into crows and disassembled the castle stone by stone, in this way the lady became free. But the crows carried the stones into the hill of Szár and built the castle of Hollókő at its present location.
We are organising private tours from Budapest to the village of Holloko and to this castle on the way back, sign up if interested: